Entering the holiday season, there are number of different things to think about before attending or hosting your holiday parties or outings. This is a celebratory season, and you are going to want to enjoy yourself which may include having a few drinks. If this is the case, consider the outcomes and the possibilities of drinking and driving. If you are hosting, make sure that you include lots of food and non-alcoholic beverages too. If you are attending a party, know your options.
According to an article in the AAA magazine Westways, drinking and driving increases around the holidays. The Auto Club estimates that “drinking and driving can cost more than $12,000. This cost does not include time off work, or even more importantly the possibility of injuring or killing someone.”
Ways to keep safe:
- Check and see if there are hotels nearby and take a taxi.
- Designate a non-drinking driver who is with you, or make arrangements with a friend or relative to pick you up.
- Hire a reputable company who is insured to transport you to and from the event.
- Make arrangements to stay at the party or residence where the event is happening. For example locally, La Bellasera Hotel & Suites is offering a special package which includes a room plus tickets to their New Years Bash.
- Use the Auto Club’s sponsored Tipsy Tow program on New Years Eve (800) 400-4222. This is for both members and non-members and gives the driver along with their car a safe ride home.
If these options are not available don’t drink, just have fun with your friends and family.
Each year approximately 3600 people are killed or injured from accidents related to drinking. So, please stay safe, be smart and know your options!